Sunday, September 30, 2007

weired problem with gparted

I was trying to create few additional partitions on my 160GB hard disk that came with my Inspiron 1520 laptop. fired gparted from MEPIS (which had worked fine earlier & could do resizing of extended partition & create logical partitions as well). Strangely now it failed to any partitions & was showing the disk one unallocated partition 149GB.

As read some where ran testdisk. after analysing & scanning it came up with its own view of partitions. with the help of Christophe of testdisk, I could make testdisk to display partitions properly (this was from vista recovery console).

Even after this, the gparted continued to show my disk as one unallocated partition of 149GB. and testdisk from Linux still continued to show incorrect partitions. I tried to list partitions with parted, it errored out saying "can't have partition outside the disk" when I tried running gparted from command line (which launches GUI, instead from menu), I could see errors like "lseek err Invalid argument".

I had 69 GB free on my disk and was unable to create partitions. I created partitions with diskpart from Vista. and started to install Ubuntu. which again failed to recognise my disk partitions. This seems to be a bug and am not sure been resolved. While googling I found a link where there was a mention of disabling partman. I could not however figure out how to do it...

Finally I tried PCLinux OS 2007 CD. Finally its partition manager recognised my disk. I formatted the 3 partitions created with diskpart under vista to ext3 partition. Then tried ubuntu again, it worked like charm.

Kudos to PCLOS 2007 parttion manager (I still am not sure which one it uses)

No comments: